Wednesday, June 13, 2012

NICU Stay

Although the twins are now perfectly healthy and steadily growing, their first couple weeks weren't so smooth.  Born 6 weeks early, they spent 2 very long weeks in the NICU.  Fortunately, I was able to keep my hospital room after I was discharged until the twins were discharged.  I split my time between the hospital with the twins and home with Ryan.  I was home after Ryan's nap, until he went to sleep.  I slept at the hospital, going to feed and check on the babies every couple hours.  It was an exhausting.

During that time we choose to limit the communication about the babies health.   For starters we didn't want to needlessly worry people.   Their health changed so fast, so keeping people informed would have been a daunting task for 2 very sleep deprived parents.   

And though I'm happy to put their NICU days behind us, I do want to remember.  So, here are my random notes of what happened during their whirlwind stay.  Please forgive the medical jargon and shorthand.

OWEN

5/11  off CPAP, on high flow NC with minimal oxygen O2, increased feeds from 5ml q 4 to 11 ml q 3, breastfed for the first time, kangaroo care for an hour with mom, dad held too, scalp iv


5/13 IV out, TPN/IL off, feeds up to 23 ml q 3hrs, O2 decreased to 1L, had one great breastfeeding session, didn't care for the bottle much today


5/15  Taking breast and bottle well.  Trial off NC.  Feeds up to 32ml q3.  NC back on after 12 hrs off (some desating).  Open crib.


5/17  NG removed.  First 30 min BF session with no bottle f/u.  Isolette d/t low temps, briefly on O2 for desats.  


5/20  Back to open crib.  Car seat test.  Hearing test.


5/22  HOME






ETHAN

5/11  dad got to hold for 20 minutes before work- E loved it, reaccumulation of pneumo causes repeat tap then chest tube, then put on jet vent, got art line, scalp iv


5/12  chest tube to water seal, first attempt at feeds fail and sump put down to decompress belly full of air


5/13  mothers day.  Jet (high frequency vent) off, conventional vent for only 10 minutes to check tidal volumes then put on a NC at 30% O2, chest tube removed, resumed feeds at 5ml q 3hrs


5/14  Increased feeds to 12 ml q3.  Took 2 ml by bottle


5/15  Took 4ml by bottle.  Then 7ml.  Then 12ml.  Trial off NC.  Open crib.  First couple BF attempts.


5/17  First successful BF (10 mins).  IV out.  TPN/IL off.


5/19  first and only night mom stayed home and dad stayed at the hospital


5/20  Carseat test, hearing test


5/21  5 lbs 8 oz, HOME







If you were able to follow that, you may have noticed Ethan's stay was more intense yet he was discharged a day earlier than Owen.  Go figure.  Having been a NICU nurse (in what seems like a previous lifetime) I did have the advantage of understanding their medical courses.  On the other hand, knowing all that can go wrong can be overwhelming.  I would take the nurse side of the NICU over the mom side any day.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I can't imagine being a nicu mommy. I see the other side of it weekly, and knowing what CAN happen would be so stressful. Just seeing them intubated on fb stressed me out.

Random story...we have twins where I work. Ex 23 weekers. One is now at home, and one is still in hospital. She is trached and has had a whirlwind of a stay to say the least. I over heard the dad saying, "Well, we got our first bill from the girls' stays here. It is 4.4 million dollars!" He was laughing because he has insurance but STILL.

I am glad their stay was short (considering), and they are your perfectly healthy growing boys.