Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Poo Factor

WARNING: Detailed poop conversation below.

I know poop is on the minds of all new parents. When did he go last? What did it look like? Is he going enough? Too much? Trust me, I understand all the excitement.

Ryan has what's know in the medical world as dyschezia and better understood by the rest of the world as uncoordinated pooping. Essentially he pushes down on his abdominal muscles and not on his pelvic floor muscles causing a lot of grunting and frustration and not so much pooping. And then when it comes it comes with a force unlike anything I've seen. Google.com has taught me this is not that uncommon and should resolve on its own. He goes just fine several times a day and then he has issues other times. There have been multiple related 'situations' but I will skip ahead to the most recent and most traumatic of all.

It's 4:30am. Ryan's on the changing table. He has a poopy diaper. I remove said diaper and place a clean one under his bum. And then it happened. Projectile poop! Six feet! It completely cleared the changing table and protective new diaper and hit the white comforter on our bed, the bottom and top sheet, a pillowcase, a good 3 feet of carpet, and of course, me.

This was no one person job so I woke Chris. Chris: 'what is it?' Me: 'There's been another poop incident. Watch your step.' Chris attends to Ryan while I run for the resolve, spray the carpet, grab the spray n wash, spray the comforter, scrub the carpet, put the comforter in the washing machine, hose down myself. I then breastfeed Ryan and Chris returns to bed.

Flash forward to the morning after. It was then I found poop on the sheets and on my pillowcase. Super! Washed all bedding. I also realized I did a terrible job cleaning the carpet so I repeated my efforts with much better success. Oh, and I also found trace evidence on Ryan's foot!

By the way, Ryan is never happier than after he poops! Ok, I digress. I feel the need to end this post with some cuteness!




No comments: