Sunday, June 29, 2008

Chris the Builder


Before we moved into our house two years ago I was flipping through a Pottery Barn catalog. I said to Chris that I liked the overpriced entryway bench (a staple in the PB catalog for years). He looked at it and said 'I can make you one, if you want'. This came as a shock because I had never known Chris to make anything (well, not since his home ec days in school and not out of wood). So, when we moved in Chris had a month, before going to work, to fix things up around the house and build me an entry way bench. I was very impressed with the finished project. I finally found baskets to fit underneath but am still, 2 years later, planning to make a cushion for the top.

This Christmas my mom gave me a sewing machine. Shortly afterwards Chris had some free time and asked what I would like built. I figure I'm pretty darn lucky, so, without hesitating I told him I would like a sewing table. He looked some up online and here is what he built.



It also doubles as a workstation for my many ongoing projects.

Chris really does have a pretty strenuous schedule, really, but once again he asked what I wanted and this time I requested a TV stand for the girls room (yes, Mazie and Emma have a their own room and TV). The TV stand is currently underway. I was going to take a picture to give a sneak peak but when I couldn't find the camera I asked Chris, who is at work, where he left it. He said he took it to work to take a picture...apparently it is a surprise and I can see it tonight. He's in the ER tonight so this should be good.

He seems to enjoy this newfound hobby and we all benefit. It also opens up a new line of gift giving ideas, tools!

1 comment:

suzspeaks said...

I am impressed with his handiwork!! I'm also impressed w/ you...how did I not know you could sew? I would love to learn, but I have way too many unfinished projects right now!