Wednesday, December 28, 2011

all things Ryan: 18 months

My baby boy is 1 and a 1/2 years old. These last 18 months flew by and they are quite a blur. I can't believe how many milestones we've witnessed in such a short time. And now my baby boy is going to be a big brother! I can't even begin to describe how much I love this little boy. His laid back personality has undoubtedly eased my transition to motherhood.

He's weighing in at 25 pounds. He's got a mouth full of teeth, I'd report how many if he'd let me look in there for more than 2 seconds. What I do know is he gets several teeth at a time and he handles it like a champ. Here's a very tired chair picture...


~ He's so caring. When another child is crying Ry looks at me panicked, like 'mom help him'. He has to be reassured the child is ok or he starts crying too.

~ He's become quite the snuggle bug. He loves to give kisses and hugs. Sometimes he's in the middle of playing, stops, gives me a kiss, then carries on. Melt my heart.

~ There can't possible be a more regimented child out there. He loves his routines. And I love that I can count on his routines to bring us peace.

~ Speaking of routine, here's our current bedtime routine...Chris gives Ryan a bath, brushes his teeth and hair, and gets him in his jammies. Then we read him a book as a family. Ryan and Chris each offer me a hand to pull me up off the floor or out of the chair (he's such a copy cat). Chris carries Ryan to his bedroom, I turn on the 'rain', and we put Ry's baby to bed on the changing table (more on that in a sec). Then we play a game to get Ryan to Mama (fly to Mama, hide from Mama, jump to Mama, etc). Once he's in my arms Ryan leans in for a family hug, he presses my head and Chris's head together to make us kiss, and then he kisses each of us (sometimes its a triple kiss). Then Chris leaves the room. I put Ryan in his bed, we turn on the fish tank and the glow worm, Ryan gives me a hug from bed and then waves me goodnight. I love this routine.

~ Ryan's been loving on his baby doll. He gives her kisses and hugs, pats her back, and claps her hands. A couple times he was holding her while I was reading touch and feel books and he touched her hands to the different textures. So sweet.

~ He has wild and crazy, beautifully blonde, curly hair. His many cowlicks will give him trouble for years to come. He's had 2 haircuts thus far, of which he's certainly not a fan.


~ He mimics everything. It's amazing what he's learning when no one is looking. He brought me my robe and slippers one morning when he wanted me to get out of bed! In addition to copying us, he likes us to play 'copy cat' with him.

~ He throws a mean temper tantrum.

~ He's got quite a fascination with babies, which is obviously a good thing right now. He loves to look at babies when we are out and about. He particularly loved his baby cousin Carter. He wanted to hold his hand and kiss his head. And when Carter was lying, peacefully I might add, on the floor, Ry insisted I pick him up (which I did happily).


~ He throws when he's angry or frustrated. I hope this is a short lived phase.

~ He can point to his head, neck, eyes, mouth, tongue, teeth, nose, feet, toes, legs, arms, hands, fingers, and cheeks. Just watch out when he's pointing to your eyes!

~ He requires all his 'hurts' be kissed.

~ He loves the outdoors. We have to drag him back inside. He particularly loves to go searching for squirrels (or as we call it - squirrel hunting). Oh, and extreme temperatures are of no concern to him.



~ He's a pretty quiet kid. When he does say words its in a whisper and with a smile.

~ He dances when the mood strikes but not on command!

~ He is still the most loved baby in the whole world!

No comments: