Saturday, October 26, 2013

Gender Reveal Party

Pregnant with our fourth and final baby I planned a gender reveal party.  A surprise for Chris. 

This message went out via Evite to 50ish of Chris's friends and colleagues...

"For some of you it's a surprise that we're expecting...again! Don't worry, Chris is already aware of that fact (can you imagine a party to tell him that!). This party is a SURPRISE for Chris to learn the gender of our fourth and final baby. Join us for light refreshments and the big reveal. Please help me keep Chris in the dark by keeping it hush, hush.

Details of the surprise:  If Chris has yet to tell you we're expecting, don't let him know you know.  Also, our out of town family doesn't know about the baby or the gender so be sure not message anything publicly.  I will  have Chris out of the house in plenty of time and plan for him to be home at about 11:20am for the surprise. 

By the way, IF I can keep the envelope sealed for 21 hours, the gender will also be a surprise to me!"

Chris and I had discussed whether or not he would be present for the ultrasound and decided, for work reasons, he wouldn't.  And he thought my ultrasound was the Monday following the Friday that it actually was.  The (fake) plan was for me to come by the office after my appointment, let him know what the sex was and announce to his co-workers I was expecting.  Of course, everyone at work was in on the party and thus already aware I was pregnant!

I was able to enjoy the ultrasound as if I didn't want to know the gender.  The tech wrote the sex down and put it and a picture that 'showed' the secret in a sealed envelope.  Can you believe I didn't look?  Well, I didn't!  I passed the envelope to my Mom so she could do the one and only gender specific detail for the party.

40-ish people showed up to surprise Chris.  Surprise being the key word!  As soon as he hit the driveway he'd figured it out...well almost.  He knew what was happening but said he saw one pink and one blue balloon on the mailbox and thought I was going to tell him there were 2!  Not so!  But then he noticed there were 3 balloons elsewhere and realized that wasn't happening.

 
 
 

 

The reveal was done via piñata.  Team pink stood on one side and team blue on the other.  There were at least twice as many people rooting for a princess.  Ryan voted for a sister.  Chris went to town with the bat!  And I saw a sneak peak with the first crack on the pink and blue question mark. 






 It's a GIRL!
 
When people asked what I thought the baby was I'd say "well, this pregnancy has been different so maybe its a girl, or maybe I'm meant to be a mom of 4 boys.  Who knows!"  Either one, boy or girl, had its pros.  But when I saw girl I did get teary eyed.  Plus, I know Chris really wanted a girl.
 
 
 


No comments: