Saturday, June 30, 2012

all things OWEN & ETHAN: 1 month

To understate it, we live in a state of exhaustion.  I often thank my lucky stars we didn't have triplets (though I'm sure moms of triplets feel truly blessed).  The tiredness aside, the twins are such happy additions to our family.  Wow, we are a family of FIVE.  Crazy.  

Stats
Owen  6 lbs 6 oz, 20 1/2 in, HC 13 3/4 in | Ethan  7 lbs 5 oz, 20 1/2 in, HC 13 3/4 in

Here's the first of monthly chair pictures (click here to see Ryan's first year on the chair).  Let me just say, it's no easy task getting two floppy babies to cooperate.  This is the best we got.

Sleep
Currently we suffer through nights.  There is no routine.  The babies eat roughly every 2.5 to 3 hours.  I feed one, then the other, then pump.  This process, including getting the babies down, cleaning the pump supplies, putting the milk away, etc.), takes at least 1.5 hours.  That means they will be up AGAIN in 1 to 1.5 hours!


Ethan or Owen (I'm not sure which one but I'm certain its one of them) napping with Daddy

I've been saying I but I have to give credit to my baby daddy.  Chris takes the first round.  And though I take the other two, Chris is often up for a few minutes here and there to bring me a baby or get me something when I need an extra hand.

They alternate sleeping in the bouncy seat and the rock n play sleeper.  I need to get another rock n play sleeper (love these things) for when they are to big to sleep in the bouncer.

Owen

Eat
Most days I feel like all I do is feed these guys.   I recall being stressed about feeding Ryan when he was this age because I was breastfeeding and he was slow to gain weight.  That isn't a problem with these guys.  They are gaining weight just fine.  However, my feeding related stress comes from other problems.  First are my breastfeeding woes.  They both latch on but they don't get their mouths open wide enough which in the long run causes me immense pain.  I've seen a lactation consultant for assistance...

In the meantime, the babes are getting supplemented with formula.  This brings me to problem #2.  Owen has a milk protein allergy.  This means the babies are on different formulas, Owen's being a third more expensive.  It also means I can't have dairy.  No ice cream!  I typically eat at least a gallon of ice cream a week so this is a travesty in my book.

To top it off, both boys suffer from reflux.  Spit up isn't much of a problem but the pain is.  It's so sad to watch.  Hopefully the meds kick in soon.


Poop
They both excel in this category.  Add this to Ryans abilities, and, well, you get the picture.


Owen vs Ethan
Ethan continues to be the larger of the two.


Owen is more demanding when it comes to feedings.  His scream is unreal.  Ethan, on the other hand, is a bit more patient.


Ethan likes to sleep with his hands near his face (like his big brother did as a baby).


At the moment, Ethan seems to be a better sleeper.  


Both boys, as do most babies, love to be held.  They both also seem to enjoy the bouncy seats (whether it's together or not).  




And who wouldn't love a Wubbanub?  One of Chris's patients gave him 2 when the babes were born.  I would have never thought this would have been so handy, but now I highly recommend these for any little ones who take a soothie.  Why, you ask?  Well, they help keep the paci in their mouths by putting gentle pressure on it, they prevent frequent drop and loss, and they are so much easier to locate in the house or bag.
Owen

These twins, along side their big brother, are the most loved little boys in all the world!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I can't imagine the exhaustion! I was up every 1 1/2 to 2 hours with Reese, and she had reflux, but that's only 1 baby. Like I said, I can't imagine.

Precious boys!