Friday, February 1, 2013

Potty Time

Written December 2012

We initiated "potty training" on 12.13.12.  Ryan was a month shy of 2 and 1/2. I was prepared for the worst. Constant accidents, messy clothes, etc. Well, I'm happy to report I was worried for nothing. I shouldn't be surprised. Ryan's yet to give us much trouble with anything.

As for the the potty, we explained what was going to happen (we'd been prepping him for a month), we had him go naked from the waste down for 3 days (easy to see when he needed to go and easy to get on the potty), and we kept a potty near his play area. In 3 days he had only one partial accident (started peeing but then stopped, held it, and finished on the potty). He pooped in the potty on day 3. On the 5th day we ventured out to a playdate. Success.

While we do frequently remind him, he mostly tells us when he needs to go. It's been a week and complete success! Every time he 'goes' potty he gets to take a picture with my camera (his choice for a reward). Mostly he takes pictures of his success (yes, it's gross but he's a boy and it's working).

I love that we said no more diapers and never turned back (except for sleeping). He looks like such a big boy in his undies. Each day he gets to choose which pair of underwear he wants to wear. He always goes for his boxer briefs over his non-boxer briefs. I don't know if he likes the colors or style better but his tooshie is darn cute in them.

Updated February 1st, 2013

Ryan has continued to amaze me.  He had one accident at home and one at preschool (but I blame the adults, myself included, for this one).  That's it!  He mostly goes #2 in the potty (the boy loves us to do the poopy dance and he loves himself a 'poopy treat', aka a Hershey Kiss).  He does wear diapers during nap and at bedtime.  The only issue I have with this is he sometime uses these times to go #2.

- Super adorable boxer briefs with a ball cap, cell phone, and tennis shoes.  That's my boy! -

Overall, I couldn't have asked for a better transition.  Let's hope the littles are as easy!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

That's great! I swear 2 1/2 is the age. I will not be trying with Reese before then. Morgan we tried too early, and disaster!