Friday, April 13, 2012

From House to Hospital

Over several days I'd noticed an increase in braxton hicks with my activity.  They always resolved when I laid down and the babies were still as active as ever.  However, on Tuesday morning (4/10) I sent Chris a text message 'I hate to say it, or even think it, but I think I may be on the verge of bedrest'.  This is something we've always feared.  Afterall, bedrest for a toddlers mom requires full-time help.  After texting Chris, at about 11am, I called my OB.  He's response was to take it easy, come in the following day for an ultrasound and check up.

A couple hours later Chris and I closed on our new house!  We took my dad and Ryan over to the house to take a look around.  And that's when IT happened.  I had a gush of blood that didn't stop.  We immediately headed to the hospital.  So at 30 weeks, 2 days pregnant I was directly admitted to labor and delivery, babies and I were placed on monitors, I was given an IV, started on magnesium (to stop contractions, thus hoping to stop bleeding).  I was also given the first of two beta shots that, in the event of premature births, would help boost the babes lung development.

The doctors were trying to determine if I was having a placental abruption which would mean an emergency c-section, however they decided to wait and see my response to the magnesium.  And it worked.  It slowed my contractions and bleeding and eventually stopped both.  Delivery diverted. 

So what happened?  Due to having a placenta previa (placenta is low, partially blocking the cervix), its believed the contractions were squeezing my placenta (which is blood filled by nature), and some of the blood was able to get out though the cervix.  Who knows why I was having so many contractions. 

Plan/Action: 
~ 4/11 2nd Beta shot given
~ 4/12 Ended 36 hours of Magnesium IV
~ 4/12 Started Nifedipine PO
~ 4/12 Moved from L&D to Antepartum
~ Hospital bedrest and monitoring through at least the weekend (then reevaluate), then if I'm lucky bedrest at home. 
~ If I start bleeding again (whether hospitalized or at home) its an automatic hospital stay until the twins
   birthday.

The switch from mag to nifedipine has been nice in that the IV is locked and the ultrasound monitors go from constant to 20 minutes twice a day.  It's been so much easier to sleep without the mag side effects and cords everywhere.  Oh and the ambien doesn't hurt either. 

I want to add that the babies have remained 'happy' throughout the entire ordeal.  They have never shown any signs of distress.  They constantly move around.  Each baby kicks/hits the monitors placed over them which I think means 'stop pushing on me', it also makes a lot of noise.  The ultrasound on 4/11 estimated baby A to be 3 lbs 11 oz and baby B to be 4 lbs 2 oz.  That makes each baby bigger than expected for a singleton the same gestational age.  And people say I'm not big enough.  Ha. 

Since being in the hospital Ryan's been to see me twice a day.  At first he was intimidated with all the cords attached to me but now he runs in the room looking for snacks and buttons to push.  I think he may be slightly confused as to whats going on but at the same time he's enjoying time with his Nonna.  He's about to endure another change as Nonna heads back to Texas Saturday and Grandma comes in town on Monday.  Fortunately, he's a happy flexible kid.

Happy Friday the 13th!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I am glad everything is okay. I bet seeing blood was a bit scary. I can't believe in a few weeks you will be the proud mama of 3!!!!!