Wednesday, November 25, 2009

8w4d Ultrasound

Chris and I went to our 9:30am ultrasound appointment this morning where we waited an entire hour to be seen! It made Chris late getting back to the office and he was ticked to say the least. However, I will say that I thought the whole situation was quite comical. Why? Well, when I whine about waiting forever for my appointments Chris always excuses the docs…'patients are late’, ‘patients are slow’, blah, blah blah. Well, today he learned a valuable lesson…I hope!

When Dr. Late Pants finally did the ultrasound she was looking around for minutes before saying anything. I immediately started to panic. I assumed she was having a difficult time finding a heartbeat. The monitor was turned away from me but Chris could see. I gave him a death stare and he nodded at me, reassuring me there was a heartbeat. Then the doc finally said ‘there is a heartbeat’. That’s all I wanted to know. She saw it immediately. Why wait to tell me? Did she not realize my legs were shaking with nerves? Seriously lady.

Once she realized Chris was reading the ultrasound she asked him what he did. After that she talked exclusively to him using medical jargon. Over here! I’m the patient! I’m the pregnant one, not him!

She measured the baby at 7w1d (I am 8w4d), but said the little tike was not cooperating for a good measurement. She was content with the growth over the last week and was not concerned with the small size. She was however concerned with not being able to see the anatomical structures but attributed that to the small size and the ultrasound machine. I go back in two weeks for a more accurate and thorough ultrasound.

She was also concerned with the size of one of my ovaries and the consequent risk of ovarian torsion, but considering the other two doctors did not voice a concern on the issue I am not worried.

Oh, and she did not give me a picture! Who does not give a copy of the ultrasound picture to the patient? I suppose she thought that after two years of trying to get pregnant, multiple failed attempts, IVF, and the massive emotional roller coaster of the last two months I would NOT want a picture of the little tike! Yes, that makes perfect sense.

Overall, this appointment was good, but we are still cautious with our happiness. The next ultrasound, in two weeks, is a week and a half before I hit the 12 week mark. I can’t believe I have only 3 more weeks in my first trimester!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! I am so excited for you! I'll keep my everything crossed that it all continues to go in the right direction. Who knows, maybe your lil tike was a late implanter . . . I only wish I was that lucky! Anyway, good for you and hubby! I can't wait to hear the updates.

Hugs,
Alison

suzspeaks said...

I can't believe you didn't get a pic! I'm SO thankful that all looks well!! Hugs!

Hey.. remember the Thanksgiving that we spent going between our grandmother's houses in Azle! Fun times!