Thursday, November 19, 2009

and the saga continues...

We went to a different doctor on Wednesday to establish care within our insurance network. Afterall, we don't need to pay the big bucks for the basic care of a miscarriage. The plan was to get another ultrasound to confirm a blighted ovum and go from there.

Here was our conversation during the ultrasound:
Dr. L: "it seems like a normal pregnancy to me"
Me: "what does that mean?"
Dr. L: "it means I see a normal embryo and a heartbeat"
Me: --pause for a moment of confusion before starting to shake and cry--

*I have no idea why this pic is so small but lets face it, there isn't much to see*


So, we are still pregnant...with a baby...whose heart rate is 120! I will be 8 weeks on Saturday. But, (there is always a but) the baby is measuring about a week smaller than normal, hence why we didn't see anything last week. While this is concerning, there is really nothing we can do about it. So, I will continue the PIO injections and have another ultrasound next week.

When Chris and I decided to undergo IVF we expected a simple "Yes, it worked/ you are pregnant" or "No, it didn't work/ you are not pregnant". Instead we got:
Blood test #1: Good
Blood test #2: Not as good
Blood test #3: Bad
U/S #1: Inconclusive
U/S #2: Good
U/S #3: Bad
U/S #4: Good

Over the last week I have been very nauseous. Even though I didn't think I actually had a baby on board, I did know my hormone levels were indicative of a pregnancy. But the truth is I couldn't tell if the stress of the entire situation was causing me to be sick or if it was the pregnancy hormones. Probably a cross between the two. I'm much happier being sick for a reason greater than stress!

With all of that said, Chris and I are cautiously optimistic. We are well aware the slow developing fetus is cause for concern, but like I said, it is what it is and we can only wait and see what happens.

5 comments:

Summer said...

So there is still HOPE! Excellent news though I wish it were more conclusive for your peace of mind.

Congratulations!

Jenny Rizer said...

Wow! I think your title of the post was correct. I am stressed for you! I am so sorry that you can not just have a peace of mind and are able to relax and enjoy this. BUT, I am SO thankful to hear that you are still pregnant and I'll be praying that the Lord protects this baby and you. Thanks for keeping us updated.

suzspeaks said...

this is SUCH great news! I'm praying daily for you, chris and for baby Hayes!

Shannon said...

This is great news Jenn. I will be praying for all three of you every chance I get!

ob said...

Try to remain an optimist. The odds always favor a normal outcome.