Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ryan's Birth Story

The beginning

Starting around 6pm on Saturday 6/26/10 I started having increased braxton hicks like contractions. I wasn't able to get comfortable while watching a movie that night and at 10pm I realized I hadn't felt the baby much over the course of the night. I tried all the tricks to get him to play yet nothing worked.

Off we went to the hospital for a check on the decreased fetal movements. The fetal monitor immediately picked up his heartbeat, sigh of relief. However, on ultrasound he wasn't moving like he should and the doctor picked up an arrhythmia. At that point we were told an induction was the safest option as baby Hayes was telling us he would be more comfortable outside the womb.


Our very limited birth plan had been to stay at home as long as possible and to walk around as much as possible before being confined to the bed with an epidural. So much for that. I was told due to the oxytocin and baby's arrhythmia I was to be on the monitor the entire time.



The labor

The contractions hurt. Bad. The epidural was weak. I had to be given multiple increased doses in drugs to sustain comfort. I hated my legs being numb. The doctor wanted to redo the epidural to get better control of the pain. I was on board as the pain of the epidural was nothing compared to that of the contractions.


The delivery

Very relaxed. My epidural was in full effect. I felt very comfortable pushing. 45 minutes later Ryan was born.

The timeline

11pm: arrive at hospital
1am: 1cm dilated, 100% effaced, 0 station, ultrasound shows decreased fetal movement and arrhythmia
2am: begin oxytocin
5:45am: epidural started
7am: still only 1cm dilated
2:30pm: repeat exam with manual cervical dilation, 1cm to 4cm, bulging sack
2:45pm: repeat epidural
6:45pm: 9cm, decided not to have water broken
8:45pm: exam and water spontaneously breaks, 9cm, +2 station
9:55pm: 10cm, 100% effaced, +2 station, started pushing
10:39pm: Ryan Christopher was born

The husband

I couldn't have asked for a better husband during the entire process. He moved my limp lower half as needed (no easy task). He was quiet as requested (and even asked if I wanted him to tell the chatty nurse to hush). He was very supportive and he made the entire process better.

The baby

Ryan was put on my chest directly after birth, though within minutes he was taken to the table in the room for being floppy and requiring oxygen. The pediatricians were called in to evaluate him. He'd perked up by the time the team arrived and they left happy with his 'transitioning'. Soon after he had another episode and the team was called back. This time he was taken to the NICU for further work up and evaluation.

2 comments:

ob said...

Now why cannot my patients deliver this well? Ok, now its time to start thinking "little sieter".

ob said...

"sister", sorry for the misspelling