Monday, July 26, 2010

where does the time go?

It's been quite busy here around the Hayes household. To back up a bit, Ryan had a bit of a challenge with his weight. He lost more than the allowed 10%. He was born at 6lbs, 9.5oz and he bottomed out at 5lbs, 13oz. We found ourselves in the pediatricians office 5 times for weight checks and planning. The last visit he was up to 6lbs, 3.5oz. While it was progress, the doctor had hoped to see more. When he realized I was already at my prepregnancy weight he determined my breastmilk was likely low in fat. So, he put me on a high fat diet. Yep...you heard it correctly! In fact, he told me to eat ice cream daily, at which point Chris laughed and said 'she already does!'. We go back for another check this coming Thursday. In the meantime, we weighed him ourselves and he appears to have surpassed 7lbs, thanks to the chocolate ice cream with peanut butter swirls and chocolate covered pretzels no doubt! Now that he's on track I suppose the high fat diet is no longer in order. The good news is I'm back to my prepregnancy weight, not to be confused with my prepregnancy condition!
Time is flying...Ryan turned one month old yesterday! And after 6 weeks off, Chris went back to work today, leaving Ryan and me here by ourselves for the first time for more than an hour. I realize having my husband home for a month to help with the baby is more than most people get, but I also know it has spoiled me. Chris took the diaper and calming duties in the middle of the night, so all I had to do was breastfeed and go back to sleep. Also, Chris entertained Ryan during the day so I could nap. And now it's all me!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I napped every single time Morgan napped in the beginning and it was great! Must be nice to be back at your pre-pregnancy weight already!

suzspeaks said...

I hope his weight is up! Hope you've enjoyed the high fat diet! ha! You look great! Ryan looks so tiny in his crib :)