Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My Poor Head

Today was by far the worse day of my pregnancy, physically that is. I woke up this morning at 5am with a splitting headache on the left side of my head. I immediately took 4 Tylenol and went back to bed for an hour.

Side note: I suffer from migraines. Not your average migraines. My right side goes numb, I loose peripheral vision, facial recognition, speech ability, and hand eye coordination, followed by the classic symptoms of pain and light sensitivity. For this reason I carry an arsenal of drugs which 10 minutes after the first symptom become useless and I'm down for a solid 10 hours. And the OB tells me I can now only take Tylenol.

Then I got back up, showered, got ready and my head got worse. So, I called work and said I was going to try and sleep it off for a couple hours and would be in at 11am. I couldn’t lay on my left side because my head was throbbing so hard I felt like I was on a bad carnival ride. The right side was bearable and soon I was asleep, however I had no relief 2 hours later. I bailed on work and called Chris. I felt as if he should know his wife was home suffering! Per his recommendation I called my OB. Six hours since taking the Tylenol and before the doc called back I took 2 more tabs, put a heating pad on my head and took another nap. She called in a script thank God!

Then it hit me. I had to go get it! I debated to just go in my robe and slippers, after all the pharmacy has a drive thru. I finally mustered the energy to put on PJ pants, a fleece jacket, and, yes, my slippers. Needless to say it was a wasted day...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, so sorry! I suffer from migraines as well but not quite like yours! I'm glad you've got some relief and that your pregnancy is going well!

{{{Hugs}}}
Alison

ob said...

As a nurse remember about 2gms of tylenol a day is max. I have found with a lot of ob patients that phenergan can be a God-send for headaches. I know it is just an antiemetic but it does work well. A little codiene can also work but should be a second line therapy.

ob said...

As a nurse remember about 2gms of tylenol a day is max. I have found with a lot of ob patients that phenergan can be a God-send for headaches. I know it is just an antiemetic but it does work well. A little codiene can also work but should be a second line therapy.