Sunday, May 17, 2009

IF Update

When I called Cindy, our fertility nurse, to tell her of this months BFN, she told me she was increasing the Clomid and to proceed as usual. I was so confused. My understanding of Clomid is that it aids in ovulation, something I thought I did just fine on my own. So, after talking to Chris, who was confused as well, we decided to meet with the doctor for some clarification. So on Friday we did just that.

When we were undergoing initial fertility testing I had an ovarian ultrasound and the doctor said everything looked great including my egg quality. Well, apparently one egg is only good enough for someone without fertility issues. My doctor is increasing the Clomid in hopes of me producing up to four eggs. Apparently, I either have an understanding problem or my doctor has an explaining problem because I also was under the impression that my sole or at least main problem was a small cervical opening. Turns out she thinks that while I do have this issue it is not my main problem. The problem is, as it is for most people, unidentified infertility.

So, the plan is as follows. We are doing another ovarian ultrasound this month to see how many eggs I have on 100mg of Clomid. Then we will proceed with the third IUI. Of course, it is going to work this time! But, being the planner that I am, I have to think of what’s next. My doctor gave us some options and this is what we decided…we would do an additional two rounds of IUI with a new variety of oral drugs before moving onto IUI with a different class of injectable drugs. To sum it up we would give it six more rounds before considering IVF. I am certain that we will not get that far!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Ugh...sorry about the BFN. I have a feeling you will be prego soon. It will be so worth all the headache when that day comes! I have been praying for you too.

suzspeaks said...

Jen I will be keeping you guys in my prayers! Cute new blog look!

Becca said...

Sounds like a good plan. I pray the 3rd time's the charm for you! I have a friend who produced 4 eggs during a medicated IUI cycle and is now pregnant with twins! :)

Summer said...

I'm sorry to hear the news and to know its still a waiting game for you! Thanks for the updates because you know we all want to know and we're all waiting this out with you!! Take good care and hang on.

xoxo
S

The Coach's Wife said...

Sorry about the BFN! I am hoping and praying you won't have to get as far as IVF! That is a whole new experience and one that is tremendously emotional and hard! God is good and will get us through this infertility one day...somehow!