Friday, July 4, 2008

Main Street Train Station

As many of you know, Chris and I were married at Main Street Train Station in Richmond Virginia. How did we come to be married in a train station you ask...well, it's very simple. We were living in Syracuse and preparing to move to Richmond. I didn't want to get married in a typical setting, such as a hotel (multi colored carpets and no windows were not in my vision). So, after Chris and I came to Richmond to buy a house in a two day stretch we scheduled another weekend trip. This time to scout wedding locations. We hit up about 15 locations and we both knew the train station was a great fit from the moment we saw it.



This picture, from WWII, hangs in the train station and in our home. I was drawn to the idea of love in this photo and it holds a special spot in my heart because it's in the location we were married.



I particularly love the details in the building. It is over 100 years old and is still used as a train station, though in its history it has also been used as a shopping center and even a disco in the 80's. It has survived a massive flood and a fire and has been restored to its original granduer with a 50 million dollar price tag. In fact, because of its flood zone our back up plan was to be married in the Holocaust Museum (romantic, huh).








The train station sent this print as a thank you after our wedding and I love it.



We actually looked into taking a train into NYC once. It's almost as expensive as flying. We were near the station last weekend for drinks and another couple were having their wedding pictures taken on the steps...it brought back good memories.

Happy 4th!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer:

I am currently living in Richmond and getting married at Main St. Station next summer. I really love your photographs and was wondering who your photographer was. Thanks!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colleen said...

Hi Jennifer!

Your wedding day was absolutely Gorgeous. My fiance and I are getting married at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart and hope to have our reception at Main Street Station. I was wondering if you could give me any advice on the venue?

Any problems you ran into?
Was there enough space?
Lighting, sound, etc. ok?
Financially worth it?
Tables/chairs ok?

Thank you for any advice, I really appreciate it. Take Care!!

Rasika said...

hi jennifer! one of my dear friends is getting married at the main street station at the end of the month, and i think a print of the WWII image would make a great wedding gift. do you know where i could get one? thanks for your help!

and your baby boy is adorable!! i love the image of him in the wagon with the pumpkins! :)

Jennifer said...

Rasika,

Dementi Studio
121 East Grace Street
Richmond, VA 23219-1741
(804) 648-9003

Hope that helps! Jennifer