Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Breaking Heart


My sweet Emma is sick. Really sick. What we thought was a leg problem turns out to be cancer of some sort. She continues to walk on three legs but due to weakness it's getting tougher each day. Over the last few days she's stopped eating more than a few bites of only the best foods...steak and peanut butter. She drinks water only when we bring it to her. She rarely gets up on her own. We carry her outside as needed. I haven't heard her bark in weeks. She rarely wags her tail (I think it hurts) but she does roll over to get her belly scratched on a regular basis. She still snuggles and kisses. We've decided not to put her through anymore tests or treatments. She's on pain medicines which she hates taking. The vet told me to expect 1-2 weeks, of course we hope she's wrong. I've accommodated my work schedule to be home more to be with her. I cry on a regular basis. And I'm so upset she may not meet the baby.

2 comments:

Jenny Rizer said...

Oh Jen, I'm so sorry to hear this. She looks like such a sweet dog. It's amazing how much "pets" can become such a part of our family. Thinking of you....

Shannon said...

I'm so sorry. This is heartbreaking. I cannot imagine losing one of my first "children".