Saturday, May 8, 2010

Emma Love

If you know me well, you know I love my dogs like I birthed them myself. I brought Emma home from an animal shelter over 9 years ago. She has the sweetest personality you can imagine. She loves to greet Chris with a ball the moment he gets home from work. And more than anything she loves attention and being pet.

A little over a month ago, all of a sudden, Emma started walking on three legs. After a week, thinking it was a pulled muscle that would heal, I took her to the vet. Her Doc could not find anything wrong and put her on anti-inflammatory meds to help what she also thought was a soft tissue injury. A week later and no improvement we headed back to the vet for her to be sedated for x-rays. While she was still under sedation I received the dreaded phone call. "It's either a bone infection or cancer". "And, it's in both of her back legs". She wanted to take a chest x-ray and run more blood work, which turned out to show nothing. Basically the bones in her back legs are eroding. The right one at a much faster rate.



The doctor suspected it was a bone infection but couldn't rule out cancer. Let's just say treating bone infections is something Chris and I are very familiar with in humans and the possibility of having to treat Emma seems very daunting. And the idea of cancer in my baby just breaks my heart.

Oh, and after I picked her up from having the x-rays done, she wouldn't kiss me or even look at me for nearly 24 hours! She even held a grudge towards Chris who wasn't even there!

As it turns out, this was the first suspected bone infection our vet had seen. She told me what she wanted to do and I told her what I thought we should do based on how humans are treated. My idea won. Emma has been on antibiotics for a just over a week. Either the antibiotics or the disease process is causing her to lose interest in her food and over the last couple days she's been fighting taking her pills (just like a child).

Through everything her spirit remains good. She gets around great on 3 legs. We've made accommodations in the house so she doesn't have to jump. We were referred to another vet for a possible bone biopsy which Chris and I are thinking over. Poor baby!

No comments: