Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Transfer Underway

The transfer is schedule for tomorrow afternoon. I will take a valium beforehand. Not really sure why, but it sounds like a wise idea. Yesterday Chris and I got concerned with how much my stomach still hurts from the retrieval. Mainly, our concerns were the possibility of internal bleeding or infection interfering with the transfer. After discussing whether or not to mention this to the doctor we finally decided it was best. The on-call doctor said with 28 eggs it is normal and not to worry.


Chris is now giving me IM progesterone (PIO) shots in my butt. Basically that means the needles are now 10 times bigger! And, while the poke is about equivalent to the flu shot, the soreness is more like a tetanus shot. The problem is Chris can only go inject a certain part of my rear and so the shots have to go into the already sore areas! Ouch! Oh, and sitting is always fun.


So, basically my stomach appears 2 months pregnant, I have raging heartburn (from the steroids I think), I have to pee every hour (side effect of the progesterone), I can’t get comfortable to sleep, few foods are appealing, and I’m nauseas. Sounds like I’m already pregnant!

A quick science lesson, the more cells something has the more complex it is. Embryos are no different. When they are first fertilized they look like this…


Then they start to divide. The hope is they continue to divide each day until they turn into a baby. By having so many embies we are able to watch and see which ones grow at the desired rate before transferring them. In other words, we can choose the ones that have already surpassed the other ones, thus giving us better odds.

As for our Embies, on day three the only thing my doctor said was they looked great and he wanted to do a five day transfer (rather than a three day). I asked if all 10looked good and he didn’t know (the lab is actually in charge all that).

Today ours should look like this…


And by tomorrow…


Cute I know. Grow Embies Grow!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Grow! Grow! Grow!!!